Since 2002, Navid Soleymani has been litigating complex business, entertainment, employment and intellectual property matters in Los Angeles. Before joining Yadegar, Minoofar & Soleymani LLP in September 2011, Navid was a senior associate in the Los Angeles office of the international law firm Proskauer Rose LLP for seven years. He also served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable David R. Thompson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Navid handles business litigation and employment litigation for individual and corporate clients in a wide range of industries, from small businesses to large publicly-traded corporations. As a seasoned Los Angeles entertainment lawyer, Navid has extensive experience in the media and entertainment industries, representing clients such as recording artists, managers and agents, production companies and content providers. Navid has litigated numerous intellectual property claims involving, among other things, copyright and trademark infringement, cyber-squatting, defamation, right of publicity, and trade secret misappropriation.
Navid recently first-chaired a federal jury trial against the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and was honored by the federal judges of the United States District Court for his role in that trial.
Having spent almost ten years at large prestigious law firms, Navid has worked alongside — and against — some of the best trial lawyers in the country. By joining Yadegar, Minoofar & Soleymani LLP, he is now able to provide “large firm” quality work to a wider range of clients — and at a fraction of the costs charged by large firms.
Representative Matters Include:[one_half]
- Represented The Killers, the internationally-acclaimed recording artists, in a breach of contract dispute; defeated summary judgment in federal court and obtained a complete victory after a three-day trial before the California Labor Commissioner.
- Defended Ticketmaster against claims for breach of contract, defamation, fraud, and trade secret infringement.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction, summary judgment, damages and attorneys’ fees in a federal court action for trademark infringement and domain name “cyber-squatting.”
- Represented Edmunds.com in a federal trademark dispute with a competitor, resulting in the competitor abandoning use of the trademark.
- Defended LexisNexis, the on-line research service, in a breach of contract action brought by an author who complained about the methodology used in calculating on-line-royalties.
- Represented Stone Television, a television production company, in a partnership dissolution involving claims for fraud, breach of contract, defamation and malicious prosecution.
- Prosecuted a breach of contract action in a commercial real estate dispute and obtained a $1.5 million settlement.
- Represented a Las Vegas condominium entity in a right of publicity and defamation case brought by a well-known actor.
- Defended an executive of a manufacturing company in a sexual harassment lawsuit by an employee.
- Defended a bank against claims of gender and pregnancy discrimination.
- Defeated summary judgment in a real estate dispute among family members, involving claims of fraud, elder abuse, and breach of fiduciary duty; case settled favorably before jury selection.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company against a nationwide class action involving antitrust and unfair competition law claims.
- Represented the American Medical Association and other medical organizations as Amici Curiae in an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- USC Law School, J.D., 2001
Graduated top 10% of class
Southern California Law Review
- UCLA, B.A., Business-Economics, 1996
Summa Cum Laude & Phi Beta Kappa
Awards and Recognitions:
- Selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer 2015-2017
- Selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2008 – 2015 — an honor bestowed upon the top 2.5% of the outstanding emerging lawyers who are under 40
- Avvo.com 10 out of 10 rating
- Member of the California Bar
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Professional, Community, and Political Involvement:
- Anti-Defamation League, Regional Board Member and 2008 Glass Fellow
- Jewish Federation, Entertainment Council and 2010 Entertainment Industry Leadership Institute
- 30 Years After, Member of Board of Directors, and Vice President of Political Affairs Committee
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section
- Before law school, Navid served for two years as a legislative aide and press secretary to State Senator Richard K. Rainey in Sacramento, California, where he was responsible for developing Senator Rainey’s legislative package in the areas of business and taxation, transportation, and criminal justice.
- Co-author of a chapter entitled “State Privacy Laws” in the Proskauer on Privacy treatise, published by the Practicing Law Institute
- “Legislature Takes Aim At California’s Higher Gas Prices: Misguided Measures to Increase Competition in the California Retail Gasoline Market.” 74 S. Cal. L. Rev. 1395 (2001)
Phone: (310) 295-1881